Thursday, January 28, 2010

…Ummer…unnn…annn

I have read a lot, both on LBT and on various blogs, about people’s decisions on who to tell. I have 5 people who know I am working to go through this process. There is Gunny, Airborne, D, Bug and my parents. Counted my parents collectively…so I guess technically there are 6 people who know. Let me explain why these are the people who know.

Gunny and Airborne are both guys I work with that are more like my big brothers (without all the fighting) than co-workers. D and Bug are my good friends.

Gunny is a retired Marine. Anyone who has ever known a Marine knows “once a Marine, always a Marine”. Semper Fidelis is the Marine Corps motto. It means Always Faithful. Gunny is still 100% Marine. I did not know what to think of him when we met, about 6 years ago. He came off as rather an ass. First impressions are NOT always right. He is a sweetheart!

Airborne is a former soldier. He was “double-stacked”…Airborne and Air Assault. Airborne is someone I did NOT expect to end up friends with when we met. Again, first impressions are NOT always right. We hit it off amazingly well! We are really good friends. I would say he is a sweetheart, but his “black heart” would not be pleased at that description. Suffice it to say, I know that he is actually a good guy…but sssssshhhh, don’t tell him I said that…it will be our little secret.

D and I met about 7 years ago. We went through our pregnancies together (her third, my first). In fact, she is the one that told me I was pregnant. We have worked together, taken Calculus together and done art work together. Whenever we can arrange the time, our kids play together! She has been 100% supportive of this idea from the get go. She is the one that went to the seminar with me. She kept eyeballs on Tadpole!!

Bug and I met about 10 years ago. I was being moved to a new team at work and they put me in a cube with her. She was to train me for the new project I would be working. We hit it off! We have been making jokes, for years, about being twins that were separated at birth, 12 years apart. When she moved away with her then husband, we kept in touch via email and a mail journal. After their divorce, I talked her into coming back to Arizona! She is 100% supportive of me. I don’t think she is completely thrilled with the whole idea but I KNOW she will support me, no matter what I do. In fact, on the trip to the surgeon the other day, she told me that she wanted to go and was excited to learn more as she is my “…Ummer…unnn…annn”. (This comes from the book “Misery” by Stephen King. At some point, near the beginning of the story, the hero of the story is waking up after a car accident. He hears sort of a humming in his ears and it sounds like “…Ummer…unnn…annn”. It is actually the CRAZY BITCH saying “number one fan”.)

Then there are my parents. My Mom hasn’t really said how she feels about this. My Dad told me I was “out of your f**king mind”. I’m not sure why…but ok.

There are the people who know. Gunny and Airborne are my support during the day. D, Bug and my parents are support the rest of the time! I know that they will all keep my secret.

I have some really good, old friends that do not know yet…neither do my Brother and Sister. I will tell them…LATER. None of them live in the area with me. I want to do this, lose some of the weight and then go for a visit to surprise them. I know that they too will support me no matter what…thrilled with the idea or not.

Other than that, I do not plan to tell anyone right now. Maybe after there is progress and people have started to notice, I will answer the inevitable “how did you do it?” questions with the WHOLE truth…time will tell.

-Frog

1 comment:

Unknown said...

awesome. very readable. if i didn't know you, i'd be sucked in to keep reading. you rite gud!

'crazy bitch', huh? well, okay...

and you made me laugh. love the title!