Monday, January 25, 2010

The End.

Where was I? Oh yes, the seminar. When we got there and signed in, they gave is a large packet of information. It included the usual you would expect (brochures on the types of band, details on the surgery etc.) as well as informational cards on the doctors in the practice and a stack of paperwork. It was mostly the forms for the doctor, but one of the pages was a bright orange page with a list of things you have to do prior to your “file” being submitted to the insurance company: get a note from your primary care physician (PCP) stating bariatric surgery is a medical necessity, get a referral to the surgeon, schedule a consultation with the surgeon, get copy of medical records, and have both psychological and dietary evaluations. My brain started churning…but back to that later.

The surgeon was there. He talked for the first part of the hour. Doc told us about the surgery (including percentage rates of various potential complications), his credentials, and some of his after surgery directions. After he was done, the program coordinator (at least I think that is what she is) talked to us. She talked about the paperwork and steps that would need to be done (the bright orange page from above) and answered all of our questions. I left after an hour with the knowledge needed to gather my armor and hopefully slay the fat dragon forever!

Back to my brain churning…I had an appointment scheduled with my PCP for Jan 18. That was 12 days away. I didn’t want to wait that long. I figured I needed the recommendation and referral from her before doing anything else. I called her office on Jan 7. I told them that I would not be able to make my appointment on the 18th and could we move it up. They asked if Jan 12 would work. I jumped on it!

Now I wait again. This time I only had to wait 6 days. I get to her office. I have all of the paperwork from the Bariatric Center in my bag. My PCP is not the friendliest of doctors. I sat in her office chewing my fingernails (figuratively speaking) waiting to be called in. They finally called me back. We do the first thing that always happens…weight. I conveniently (can’t believe I am saying that!) gained 4 pounds since I last saw her (was October). I’m actually thinking that is pretty good since we had both Thanksgiving and Christmas since my last visit! They check my blood pressure, pulse and temperature. I’m surprised my BP was not HIGH. I was so nervous about talking to the Doctor.

After doing the usual conversation with her, she says, “Oh, I see you lost…oh wait, you gained weight.” I said, “Yes and actually I wanted to talk to you about that.” I slide the bright orange page over to show her. I tell her exactly what I want. She says, “I’m glad you want to…hold on…” and runs out of the office. She comes running back in and writes down my BMI. “I’m glad you want to do this. I think it will help you.” She then writes me the note and referral. HOLY CRAP. She actually wrote the note. I walked out of the office nice and calm…I didn’t start screaming until I got into my car. I’m sure anyone within earshot of my car thought I was crazy!

The next morning I start setting up the rest of the appointments. I call the surgeon and set up my consultation for Jan 25. I then found a psychiatrist (pronounced peace-a-key-a-trist*) here in town. I set up an appointment for Jan 29. Now all I need is the nutritionist and I will be on my way!

-Frog

*I'm prone to making up my own way to say things too! :)

No comments: