Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Surgeon

I had my appointment with the surgeon on Monday morning. The surgeon’s office is about 75 miles from home, just down the street from where I attended the seminar! I asked a friend (Bug) to go with me…it makes the hour drive seem faster when I have someone to talk to.

Monday morning, I dropped Tadpole off at school and picked Bug up. Off we went. We made our mandatory stop at Circle K (a 7-11 type convenience store, for those that might not know) and picked up sodas and breakfast. We did the usual girl chat on the drive. Bug told me that she would like to come into the room with me to meet the surgeon. When I asked why...her response was to learn more. I told her I didn’t mind. I said we could always tell them she was my mother if there was an issue!! :)

Since it was my first appointment they said to be there 30 minutes early. I had gotten the intake paperwork at the seminar, so it was already filled out. I had also faxed it in a couple of days early. The result? We waited! About 45 minutes of waiting. Now, patience is not a virtue I was blessed with...so I was cracking jokes and making snide comments at Bug the whole time...couldn't help it!

They called my name. Here goes!! First thing they do? You all know...the DREADED scale! I told Bug she could not be all shocked when she saw my weight. I don't know if she actually saw it or not...I tried to cover it up and not let anyone see it. But, of course, they wrote it down. Mortification...that's all I can say. Then into the room we go. The gal took my blood pressure (no high BP problem for me!) and asked a couple of questions. Told me the surgeon would be in shortly.

Bug and I sat there making comments about the colors of the room. One wall was, I would say seafoam green, but it was a little bluer than green. The rest were beige. The cupboards were a combo of greenish blue mold with swipes of brown sand and carrot orange. Hey...it kept us entertained!

The surgeon came in about 5 minutes later. He talked to me for 5 – 10 minutes. He basically told me all the same stuff he had said in the seminar. He asked me to lift my shirt, palpated my abdomen and then told me I was an excellent candidate for the surgery. Said that he was certain they could help me. I just need to finish the last 2 appointments and they can submit my paperwork to the insurance company.

Let me tell you, this is the one and only time in my life that I hope the “roller coaster” ride is fast, short and straight with no twists, turns, ups or downs.

-Frog

No comments: