Tuesday, April 27, 2010

1 week.

1 week. 1 week you ask? What does this crazy Frog mean by 1 week? Well, yesterday marked 1 week on the pre-op diet and 1 week before surgery.

I have family that made a spur of the moment decision to come for a visit. Normally this would be no big deal. I have a great family and we all like to hang out together. Now this is not such good timing as I have not told my brother or sister. I’m not sure why I haven’t told them…

At any rate, the spur of the moment visit begat some very creative dieting for my first 2 days on the pre-op diet. I had previously purchased some BSN Lean Dessert Protein (Whipped Vanilla and Chocolate Fudge) and was going to be using it for my diet. Well, I felt the need to hide those bright red tubs. I hid them in my garage. Since I was not going to be able to explain the blender 2x a day…I went to the store and bought some tuna and veggies for my snacks…as well as some pre-made shakes to bring to work. They didn’t necessarily tell me I could have tuna…but I figure why not as it is no fat, low calorie and high protein! I would then eat dinner with the family. This worked great for the 3 days I needed it to…the only exception is the odd after taste I got with the pre-made shakes. I put them in the freezer for about 1.5 hours before I was going to drink them. I then chugged them. Then I only got the taste at the end!

I had my education class with the surgeon while they family was here. Got away and drove the 1.5 hours to the office. Most of what they told me I already knew. The most “new” information came in the form of what we are allowed during the mushy stages! More stuff that I thought…who knew Tuna counted???

I took the list of allowed foods and went shopping. I got everything I should need for the first week. I bought a couple of juices, some crystal light flavors, SF popsicles and skim milk to make my protein shakes. Now, I am normally averse to “blue water”. However, I figure if I am only allowed 1200 calories I might as well make everyone count!! And you know what I found…in a protein shake, you really don’t know the difference!! I also got some SF pudding. They said Jell-O was ok…but I HATE HATE HATE Jell-O. Figured I could also suck pudding through my teeth (their criteria for liquid) so, pudding should work!

-Frog

No comments: